Finding the Right Workout for You
Workouts aren’t one size fits all. As you move forward with your weight loss program after having bariatric surgery, you are going to be encouraged to find a workout plan that you enjoy. Exercise is important to living a healthy life and losing weight. But what works for one person may not be the right choice for another.
All good workouts are going to have a few things in common:
- They will get your heart rate up
- You will sweat
- You will work different muscle groups to tone and strengthen your body
Just because a workout has all three of these elements, that doesn’t necessarily mean that it is going to be the best workout for you.
When it comes down to it, the most successful workout is one that you keep up with. So, as beneficial as running is for the body, or as great of a sweat as you can get from taking a kick boxing class, if you don’t find enjoyment in those activities then you aren’t likely to be successful with that workout plan.
You can make any type of exercise into a successful workout plan by strategizing and planning ahead. As long as you know what you want to get out of the workout, what you need to be successful, and a plan in place to guide your actions, then you can start working towards your weight loss goal with whatever sort of physical activity you enjoy best.
Here are a few things to consider when creating an exercise plan:
- Know your long-term goal. Knowing what you are working towards is half the battle. Have an idea in mind of what you want to achieve as you are working out and keep track of how close you are to that goal as weeks go by.
- Be present. As beneficial as it is to know what you want down the road, you can’t live in the future. You need to know what you can get out of that workout today. Don’t think about physical results in this case as much as mental or emotional results. Think about how a good workout makes you feel. Does it help you concentrate? Can it help you sleep better?
- Start off prepared. Too many people make the mistake of thinking they need to become great at working out before they invest in workout clothes. Not having the right equipment will make it all the more difficult to be successful with your workout. Make sure you have everything you need from day 1.
Before you start any new form of workout technique, make sure that you check in with your weight loss surgeon. Early on after weight loss surgery you’ll be encouraged to stick with light and moderate activities so that you can fully recover from your bariatric procedure. Keeping your body’s needs in mind in this way is another important factor in determining the best workout for you.