Snacking to Help Manage Hunger
Well-planned healthy snacking can aid weight loss by helping manage hunger and control overeating at meal times. However, uncontrolled snacking can easily lead to weight gain by adding extra calories without effecting the portions or foods we eat at the following meals. An ideal snack will fill you up quickly and keep you full until the next meal, without adding a large amount of calories. When hunger strikes between meal times look for a snack that is properly portioned, low in calories, and high in either fiber or protein (both fiber and protein pass through the digestive system slowly, filling you up and helps you feel full longer). A great calorie goal for a between-meal snack is 100-150 calories, depending on your hunger level.
- Small Apple + Light Babybel cheese : 130 calories + 6 g protein + 4 g fiber
- Light & Fit Greek Yogurt + ½ cup berries : 120 calories + 12 g protein + 2 g fiber
- Pure Protein shake : 120 calories + 23 g protein + 6 g fiber
- 20 baby carrots + 2 tbsp. Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing* : 100 calories + 2 g protein + 6 g fiber
- 3 cups air popped popcorn + 2 tbsp. parmesan cheese : 150 calories + 4 g protein + 1.2 g fiber