Start Your Day off Right
September is Better Breakfast Month which is an excellent reason to eat up! Why is breakfast so important? It sets the tone for the day! It jump starts your metabolism; fuels you with energy; improves your ability to concentrate; and helps prevent hunger and snacking later in the day, just to name a few.
Research has shown that people who skip breakfast tend to eat more calories (larger portions, snacking, grazing) later in the day compared to people who eat breakfast. The most common reason people skip breakfast is lack of time and lack of desire to eat in the morning. Well, I have good news! You don’t need a five star breakfast to provide the fuel (carbohydrates), satiety (protein) and jump start that your body needs. Try these super easy and convenient breakfast ideas!
- Light Greek Yogurt mixed with ¼ cup bran cereal
- ½ cup of low fat cottage cheese mixed with no sugar added fruit cup (pears, peaches, pineapple)
- Protein bar. Make sure it has at least 15 grams of protein and no more than 200 calories. Try brands like PowerBar, Quest Protein Bar or PureProtein
- ½ to whole Protein Shake. Make sure it has at least 25 grams of protein and no more than 200 calories. Try brands like GNC Lean Shake and Premier Protein
- Glass of low fat milk
- Boiled egg (keep in refrigerator) and natural applesauce
- Turkey Sausage and ½ cup blueberries
- Light Mozzarella String Cheese and Morningstar Farms Veggie Sausage Patty